After three years of development, the Polar Bear ice skimmer has been designed and manufactured in response to increased exploration and exploitation of the polar regions – DESMI has recognised the need for a skimmer designed specifically to operate in these harsh conditions.
The Polar Bear ice skimmer is based on the popular HELIX skimmer, which was found to be a versatile machine and could easily operate in icy conditions with no ill-effect. However, this flexible design was modified and adapted to suit the harsh polar conditions and a stronger frame was added. This ice skimmer is now one of the most well-suited products available.
Due to having no external floats outside the collecting members (brush-modules), there are no restrictions when the Polar Bear ice skimmer interacts with the surrounding surface. The skimmer head is designed so that when operating in icy waters, the ice will be pushed aside and therefore cannot be trapped in the skimmer.
The design of the Polar Bear ice skimmer has benefited from a continuous development programme over three years. This results in a versatile, reliable, powerful and seaworthy oil skimming system that can be used in ice-infested waters.
The Polar Bear is a powerful offshore ice skimmer which, because of its compact hexagonal design, ensures optimal contact with the surface surrounding the skimmer.
The Polar Bear ice skimmer is equipped with an Archimedes screw pump, the DOP 200 dual pump (or other DOP pump) for offloading the oil and smaller lumps of ice. The Polar Bear ice skimmer features integrated floats which gives the skimmer a strong ability to float. To remove and replace a module on the Polar Bear ice skimmer is simple and easy.
Advantages of the Polar Bear ice skimmer:
- Compact hexagonal design – optimal contact with the surface surrounding the skimmer.
- Six individual collecting brush modules – enables the skimmer to collect in a range of 360°
- Six individual collecting brush modules driven by 6 individual hydraulic motors in two separate circuits – ensures a uniform rotation, enables each side of the skimmer to be individually operated.
- Removable brush modules – easy to remove and replace.
- Long brush bristles when rotating slowly – limits the actual pick up of ice.
- DOP 200 dual pump for offloading oil, smaller lumps of ice and cutting up debris
DESMI designs and manufactures an extensive range of systems to recover oil and chemicals from the marine and inland environment. DESMI products include skimmers, booms, storage tanks, power packs, pumps, dispersant systems, vessels and ancillary items.
DESMI’s extensive range of containment booms and oil skimmers supports their oil spill response solutions which are highly trusted in the industry. Whether the requirement is for offshore or shoreline areas; the arctic or equatorial environment, DESMI delivers proven solutions for all spill conditions and offers outstanding life-cycle costs.