Cube boom is a permanent boom. It is an impervious (non-absorbent) boom designed for long term or permanent deployment in all water and weather conditions, including rough, open water.
This permanent boom is ideally suited for surrounding vessels at refuelling wharves, jetties, drilling and dredging operations, protecting dam entrances, power station outlets and other applications when a heavy duty, permanent barrier is required.
- Foam-filled moulded floats support a heavy duty, ballast-weighted skirt making it virtually unsinkable in all conditions.
- The cube boom performs excellently in open water.
- These permanent booms are manufactured in 15 metre sections at 100cm height.
- Cube permanent boom is UV and oil resistant with a buoyancy to weight ratio of 4:1.
- High visibility orange floats with heavy duty 2600gsm PVC skirt.
- Sections have anchor points at either end and extruded aluminium ASTM connectors to allow multiple lengths to be joined.
- Replaceable wear strips protects the floats from abrasion.
How does a permanent boom work?
Cube booms are a heavy duty permanent boom that has moulded, foam-filled floats, a heavy duty skirt and lead ballast weights. They are suitable for all weather conditions but are not so easy to store and clean and can be slow to deploy.
Notes about oil containment booms:
Floating booms or impervious barriers that trap oil on the water’s surface are universally called oil containment booms. They are generally manufactured from PVC or urethane material and are able to withstand the harsh conditions and elements typically found at an oil spill. Oil containment booms typically consist of the following elements:
- Freeboard – the part of the boom above the water’s surface. Designed to deflect or contain an oil spill.
- Skirt – the impervious barrier below the water’s surface. Skirt depth varies according to boom type.
- Ballast – located at the bottom of the skirt and keeps the boom upright in the water.
- Connectors – allow multiple boom lengths to be joined together to form one long continuous barrier.
|Description||Skirt height||Skirt material||Skirt weight||Code|
|Permanent boom – cube boom||100cm||Heavy duty PVC||2600gsm||CB1000|
Standard boom colour: Orange floats with green PVC belt
UV resistance: Excellent
Chemical resistance: Resistant to acids, hydrocarbons, alkalis and solvents
Boom connections: Extruded aluminium – ASTM standard
Operational temperature: -20c to +80c
Boom tensile strength: 18,500kg (based upon CB1000)
Buoyancy to weight: 4:1
Anchor points: Two per section
Anchor system: 20 kg anchors