A disc skimmer is a floating skimmer with a series of rotating discs that remove floating oils and fuels from the ocean, ponds, sumps, pits, dams, rivers, harbours and marinas.
This 15,000 litres per hour disc skimmer removes free floating oils, fuels, animal oil, vegetable oil greases and oily wastes on the surface of the water. Small and compact, this disc skimmer is ideal for emergency response trailers and is most suited for use in sumps, ponds or any calm water.
The skimming principle works on the differences in specific gravity and the surface tension between oil and water, where the oil has an affinity for attaching to the discs.
Floating on the surface of relatively calm waters, the discs rotate and pass through the oil layer. The oil adheres to the discs (with minimal water pick up) and is removed with a scraper, draining into a sump before being pumped into a suitable storage vessel or container.
- The oleophilic (oil-attracting) discs rotate through the oil layer accumulated on the water surface. The oil adheres to the discs and is removed with scrapers, draining into the skimmer sump.
- The oil is removed from the sump by a shore-based pump (optional), typically an air-operated diaphragm pump. See Specifications tab for more detail.
- The 40x 450mm-diameter discs only pick up a small percentage of water.
- Excellent skimmer for industrial applications.
- Its integral air motor drives a shaft which in turns rotates the discs. By controlling the air supply to the motor, the rotational speed can be adjusted to suit the site conditions.
- A clean, dry air supply is needed for the skimmer (and optional pump).
- Optional outrigger pontoons (stabilisers) for the skimmer and hoses can be supplied if required. These are required to keep the skimmer level in large or turbulent water bodies
A smaller capacity, 1,500 litres per hour disc skimmer is also available.
|Description||Number of discs||Disc diameter||Oil recovery rate||Code|
|Disc skimmer||40||450mm||15,000 litres per hour||GSD15T|
|Frame||Marine grade aluminium|
|Drive||Hydraulic motor powered by power pack|
|Oil drain||Discharge pump on-board or land based|
|Outlet Hose||10m x 40mm, PVC reinforced|
|Disc speed controller||Built into power pack|
Oil is removed from the sump by an on-board pump or shore-based pump:
- On-board hydraulic driven submersible discharge pump is incorporated into the oil collection sump. No suction hose is required, only 3″ lay-flat discharge hose. The on-board pump model has three hydraulic hoses of different sizes to connect the power pack to the skimmer and pump. The hoses cannot be mixed up and do not require marking. The power pack can be either electric or diesel driven. The power pack includes wheels for easy movement.
- Shore-based pump. Any 3″ self-priming suction pump can be used to pump the oil from the skimmer sump. For emergency response skimmers, a Spate 75C diaphragm suction pump is often used.
- Optional outrigger pontoons (stabilisers) for the skimmer and hoses can be supplied if required. These are required to keep the skimmer level in large or turbulent water bodies.